1. Captain Phillips -Tom Hanks deserves an Oscar for this spellbinding performance in a gruelling, thrilling, nail-biting film that grabs the audience from start to end. Talking of the end, it is one of the most profoundly moving finales you will see in a long time.
2. Gravity - The work of an absolute visionary, Gravity is monumental in its scale, visuals and performances, culminating in a groundbreaking cinematic experience. The 3d is stupendously perfect, Bullock earns another Oscar nod and Clooney offers a superb supporting role. Unbelievable visuals, immense sound work and gripping drama, Gravity is a stunner.
3. Don Jon - Honest, funny and wonderfully structured, JGL's debut feature stands out from the rom-com crowd in every aspect. It's one of the cleverest and in-depth studies of the genders in a very long time and just shows how talented Gordon-Levitt really is.
4. The Selfish Giant - A magnificently brave debut feature that speaks volumes in the British industry today and stands tall like a giant among even the very best of British in recent years.
The young talent on show here is nothing short of astounding, even usurping the hugely impressive senior cast members.
5. Man Of Steel - It's the Superman depiction we were waiting for; epic in scale and in its action sequences, strong in its emotional edge and utterly engaging.
6. The Spectacular Now - Simply breathtaking stuff. Miles Teller is the best he's ever been and Shailene Woodley once again shows why she is one of the best young females around.
7. Like Father, Like Son - With a simply fascinating premise, Like Father, Like Son presents interesting key individuals who really help the audience to invest in the events unfolding. A strong adult cast is only bolstered by superb choices in child casting, to create a wholly emotional and affecting film experience.
8. The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - Capturing the sheer essence of its literary counterpart, Catching Fire is the film that builds on the foundations of the first films and delivers in aces.
9. The Kings Of Summer - Cut from the same cloth as Stand By Me, The Kings Of Summer is a sheer exceptional film brimming with wonder and superiority. Packed with beautiful imagery and scenery, this is one independent film that will live long in the memory with its captivating story of running away from home to begin a new life and the eventual perils involved with independence.
10. Stoker - Haunting, psychological warfare on the mind that etches itself in there and doesn't let go. Sublime direction and editing backed by the exceptionally unsettling and sinister Goode and tainted Wasikowska