Here are my top 5 horror movies of all time.
5. The Omen - Kids have always been a huge part in the horror genre and this little bugger ranks among some of the best. Damien is a character forever present in the annals of horror history in what is a scary-as-hell movie. Couple the devil's son with the superb performances from Gregory Peck and Lee Remick, and The Omen excels to greatness.
4. Trick 'r Treat - Michael Doguherty's Trick 'r Treat is an ode to Halloween stories. Featuring an all-star cast, the film's interwoven stories are a concoction of conventional scary tales with a neat twist. From Anna Paquin's coming-of-age sub-plot to Brian Cox's miserable house dweller being terrorised by the pumpkin-headed Sam, the film delivers on every level.
3. The Evil Dead - Hilarious, outrageous and filled with over-the-top violence, The Evil Dead continues to live its own legacy amongst horror's elite. Any film that can still make you jump at the same point every time or continue to wince as utensils thrash through body parts after all these years deserves great credit.
2. The Thing - John Carpenter's The Thing is a work of horror magic. Claustrophobic, tension-filled and stunning visually, even to this day, it continued the director's reign as a master of horror. Featuring one of the best uses of creature make-up of any film and an engaging and heart-pounding premise the film eases into second place for me.
1. Halloween - Sharing its name with the official horror season, Halloween will forever remain my favourite movie of the genre. Setting the benchmark for slasher films, it is simply the blueprint for others to follow and true testament to John Carpenter and Debra Hill's genius. Creating a horror icon, an unforgettably simple yet oh so effective score, and pure terror, Halloween remains the top choice for any Halloween film marathon.
Don't agree with my choices? Post your top 5 in the comments box below, I would love to hear your choices!