Sunday 21 October 2012

An Ode To Rust And Bone

It fills me with absolute delight that Rust And Bone has been awarded with Best Film at this year's London Film Festival. Not only was it head and shoulders the standout film I personally saw over the time I participated in the festival but it was the first film in such a long time that stayed with me, constantly reminding me of how exceptional it really is.

I must admit, despite my love for cinema, foreign movies were never quite my foray and, whilst I dabbled in more well known foreign outings such as City Of God, The Raid and Let The Right One In, my viewing of overseas releases was somewhat of a poor show. Little did I know that I was missing out on a bulk of cinema that is clearly unmissable and fortunately one film changed my perspective forever.

Rust and Bone truly astounded me with its performances, a strong and affecting story and direction that has seen it peak at my current favourite for 2012 by a long distance. Having never seen A Prophet, my knowledge of Jacques Audiard's work was minimal and my only experience of the sublime Marion Cotillard came in the form of her American efforts as well as her much publicised Oscar winner La Vie En Rosé. Truth be told, I didn't know what to expect when entering the screening for the film.

To say the viewing experience was astounding may even be an understatement as, despite two viewers' insistence on sexualising the screening for the audience, I came out absolutely beaming at the sight of what I had just witnessed (film-wise that is people!)

To pinpoint just one factor in the film's success would be a crime in itself. Rust and Bone is subliminal filmmaking at its finest and perfectly warranted my first five-star rating of the year. With Marion Cotillard and Matthias Schoenaerts performing to levels that truly astound, the film possessed two leading characters who will be hard to match this year in providing emotion, angst and audience connection. Their differing characters not only proving that opposites attract but also presenting two difficult life scenarios that collide to create a breathtaking spectacle in story-telling.

Driven by beautiful cinematography, unbelievable performances and a powerful story, Rust and Bone has infinitely changed my stance on foreign cinema. Immediately after watching the film I discussed with friends what films I have been missing out on and my Lovefilm list is now abundant in foreign cinema gems I have been recommended. Not only has the film solidified my interest in more diverse films but I also fully appreciate the fact that films such as these with minimal budgets are often those that astound and prove that low-budget foreign films offer some of the greatest viewing experiences known to man.

Rust and Bone truly is a remarkable beautiful film and sits at the pinnacle of my favourite films of 2012. I urge you all to seek this gem out upon its release on 2nd November.

No comments:

Post a Comment